Saturday, July 18, 2009

We Shall Overcome

This blog contains language which may be unsuitable for some readers. Precaution is advised.

Dear Nancy, Mike, and Doss,

All of us are children of the '60's. Vietnam and the riots, protests, and demonstrations. The Kennedy and King assassinations. We all graduated from college in the spring of Kent State and the invasion of Cambodia. Through all that, I don't know about you, but I was never tear-gassed...

Until yesterday.

There is a village in the West Bank called Bil'in. A few years ago, the "security barrier" came through its environs and confiscated much of the land and farmers' fields. Nothing much new in that, since the barrier does this for alot of its route. In this case, though, an Israeli court ruled this course to be illegal. The barrier is still there, however, because claims of security here trump all.

So about 4 years ago, villagers began to hold demonstrations against the Wall. The demonstrations continue on every Friday. I had never been, but went yesterday with my friend Anne who has been going for years.

I was very skittish about it. Soldiers stand at the barrier. Sometimes they shoot. Over the years about 10 people have been killed, the last one only about 3 months ago. At first, they used real bullets, but after Israeli's starting participating, they now only use rubber bullets - a euphemism if ever there was one - or aim tear gas cannisters at demonstrators. Other people have been seriously injured. A young American man shot a few months ago lies in a hospital now in a coma from which he will likely never recover.

The leaders of the demonstation urge everyone to stay non-violent, but nowadays there are always a few who throw rocks at the soldiers. Recently, it was discovered that some of these people have been Israeli infiltrators. But most are not.

Yesterday, the soldiers just used tear gas and a new weapon, the "Skunk". A truck carries a huge water cannon on its roof and a spray is shot into the air which contains a chemical that smells like, well, shit. Nice, huh?

There are photos in the slideshow on the left. The clouds on the ground are tear gas and Skunk-juice. The posters are of the young man who was killed recently.

Thankfully, no one was injured yesterday. But the service driver on the way home said we smelled "mesh kwayyes" (not good).

Between ducking the tear gas and Skunk, often unsuccessfully, I talked to alot of people and also wondered why we were there. Them I can't speak for, me I can.

I'm not sure why I do these things here. So often my behavior here is very different from in the States. Of course, I live in very different circumstances here. I guess the unknown is what my behavior will be when I return to the States to stay. You all may wind up avoiding me like some kind of freak.

It seemed to me that yesterday we were "demonstrating". Showing something. I don't know about everyone else, but I think that I was demonstrating both to the soldiers - no matter what you throw at us, we are not going to let you do this in silence or invisibly - but probably more to the people who live in the village - you have not been abandoned. We will get gassed and shat on with you. There are people who know this is not right and are not going to just look away.

Does this mean anything to either group, really? Does it change anything? Does it help? Does it hurt?

I don't know, but why else are we all here in this human family?

Looking forward to seeing you when I get back, hopefully smelling better than yesterday.

Harry

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dearest Harry,
Thank you, thank you for sharing your heart with us.
Love,
Nanci