Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Summer Showers

Dear Jane,

Thank you for your recent email. You have the most wonderful way of putting words together and it always lets me see something in a slightly different way. So when I read your words about the "thread" of my vocation drawing me "joyfully," it set me thinking.

I frequently return to the Buechner definition of vocation - where our joy and gladness meets the needs of the world. Then I recalled a conversation with a friend when I was in the US recently. I was explaining something that happened here, one of the awful things that happens all too frequently, and he said, "ok, and you are there becaauuuse....?" His remark brushed me back and at the time made me think he doesn't "get it," doesn't understand how wonderful it is to be here.
Then the penny dropped.....

I almost never write here about the joy of being here. I do go on about the angst, don't I? In part, that's probably my naturally dour personality, but I suppose also because the harsh realities are more compelling and because it's the injustices that I want people to be aware of, to engage with. But in fact, we also have alot of fun here. There are so many wonderful people, so much going on. We frequently have beautiful musical events. There are many museums (and of course churches) full of beauty. Many times of laughing and enjoying our lives here. I'm sure that in those times there's an element of tension release, because there is certainly plenty of that, but there is also sheer joy.

But mostly, like anywhere else, it's the people and friendships who bring the most enjoyment. A few days ago, I watched some men haul some furniture up to a second floor by ropes. Look at the photos below. These were huge, heavy pieces of furniture with plenty of effort and exertion needed. But they had fun with it. Look at the celebration in the last photos. Joyful at a job well done. These are the moments I don't write much about here, but they happen all the time.

By the way, I believe that the man on the left in the last photo, signalling the victory of the job done, is the hardest-working man I ever encountered. I thought my father was, but I don't think he could keep up with Maher. And his buddy on the right is one of God's most delightful creatures - affable, gregarious, charming, and delightful. Both these men are far too talented and able to be hauling furniture up the sides of buildings but their circumstances leave them nothing else.....

Oops, I did it again. Finding pain in the joy.

You know those summer showers that we get in South Texas, rare enough to be noticeable, when in the middle of a heavy rain shower the sun shines through? Because of some particular conformation of clouds and climactic conditions. Every day is like that here. Sun in the midst of rain. Hour of gold, hour of lead.

There is a line in the Talmud which has been adapted into a tune that many people learn when they come here. It says,
"Ten measures of beauty God gave to the world: 9 to Jerusalem, 1 to the rest.
Ten measures of sorrow God gave to the world: 9 to Jerusalem, 1 to the rest."
Thank you, once again, for pastoring me toward new understanding.

Harry





No comments: