Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Back To Gaza

Dear Janina and Johannes,

I was able to visit Gaza yesterday for the first time since February. Our friends send their love and long for the day when you might be able to visit again. You are much remembered and missed.

Entering Gaza has changed a little since you last visited. Now, just a kilometer or so after clearing Erez checkpoint and entering Gaza, you have to stop at a Hamas checkpoint. They examine your passport and take information and sometimes examine your luggage. The first time I was a bit unnerved by this (Hamas has a copy of my passport?!?!?), but now it's another part of the routine. I have always found the men at this checkpoint to be cordial, polite, and professional. Much more so than some other people who man checkpoints around here.

Everyone we know is as well as can be expected, but I worry more and more about Dr. M. He remains as gentle and gracious as ever, but his tired, saddened eyes and stooped shoulders tell the strain and burden of life there.

I'm sorry to say nothing has improved in Gaza. Which means it is worse. Every day that goes by without change means another day of poverty, no work, ill health, little food, and confinement. Nothing has been rebuilt or repaired since the destruction caused by the war. Nothing. Israel lets nothing in that is needed for repairs, saying the materials could be used for bombs or rockets. The UN is supposed to be taking in 20,000 tons of cement, but so far approval is still not given. No hurry, it's only people's lives. We wouldn't want to go too fast and cause diplomatic awkwardness. Tony Blair, Envoy for Only-God-Knows-What, is still encamped at the $400/day American Colony Hotel here. I do hope he's comfortable enough.

I also have some positive news for you, though. Yesterday I sat in on some training for staff in Gaza to learn how to deliver psychosocial counselling and support. This is almost universally needed after two years of embargo and deprivation, and the war/slaughter of January. So even though this activity was made necessary by so much suffering, still it's wonderful to see something positive, constructive, and life-affirming arise out of it. I don't believe I've seen people there so energized and enthusiastic about anything in the nearly two years I've been going.

I'm sorry the world despises Gaza so, because we are missing a chance to see such wonderful developments. To see people figure out how to ennoble themselves against all odds. To enrich themselves, to save themselves. Or maybe the world doesn't despise Gaza, maybe we are just afraid. Or don't understand. Or ignore. It's a shame. We have alot to learn from the people we hurt the most.

I know you well enough to know how you miss going to Gaza and how you hurt when you hear the news from there. I look forward to the time when we might go again together.

Love,
Harry

1 comment:

Janina said...

Dear Harry,
thank you so much for your words and for going to Gaza. Believe me, in my heart I went with you. There is no day that I do not think of the people of Gaza, and especially our friends at Al Ahli Arab Hospital. I miss them greatly and it hurts so much not to be able to be with them. Just being with them amidst all the suffering has been the most powerful and transforming experience of my life. It has changed my life, my way of looking at the world and humanity. In Gaza I learned that the most meaningful Christian witness we can offer is to be with people in the midst of their suffering, is to be really and truly present with our whole being – body, mind and heart – and be ready to meet those in need in their own circumstances with all the love and compassion we can possibly offer, leaving our prejudices and fears behind. Here, at a distance/back home, I struggle so much to find the right words for our friends in Gaza. What can I possibly offer being so far away, when what is needed most is for me to be there? So yes, I hope to be back there soon. I hope to go again with you. In the meantime, please give S., S., Dr. M. and all the others my love. They are not forgotten! They are in my prayers every day and every moment. Janina