Monday, November 26, 2007

Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem

I went to the English-speaking service at the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in the Old City yesterday. There is a marvelous interdenominational spirit here and because the Christian community is so small, both native and expat, everyone sort of knows everyone else.

One of the readings for yesterday was from Jeremiah chapter 23: "Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! says the Lord. Therefore, thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, concerning the shepherds who shepherd my people: It is you who have scattered my flock, and have driven them away, and you have not attended to them...Then I myself will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the lands where I have driven them, and I will bring them back to their fold, and they shall be fruitful and multiply. I will raise up shepherds over them who will shepherd them, and they shall not fear any longer or be dismayed, nor shall any be missing..."

You don't have to be here very long to hear this as having nothing to do with sheep! Nor does it take much listening to people's stories to know that all sides here can legitimately feel scattered and unattended.

Folks here don't think much of the Annapolis meeting. They believe it is a show. But cynicism and sarcasm will get us nowhere. So I invite you to consider the prayer for this meeting being offered by the Council for Middle East Peace. You can find the entire prayer at http://cmep.org/documents/2007_Congregational_prayer_for_peace.pdf

Part of it says, "Oh God of mercy and compassion, Embrace our Israeli and Palestinian brothers and sisters. They have endured profound loss and sorrow. They are fatigued by fear and anger. Mend their broken hearts and failing spirits. Ignite in them sparks of hope. Comfort them and guide them onto the road of peace."

Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem.

2 comments:

Abu Daoud said...

Hello Harry, thank you for this. I have posted a link to your blog over at Islam and Christianity

We will join you in praying for the peace of Jerusalem.

jpj said...

Harry,

I am a fellow Christian living in Sydney, Australia who will be traveling to Jerusalem in 18months. The holy land has always interested me and your blog is helpful for my prayers and preparation.

Thanks, Joel