Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Around the 'Hood

I live in East Jerusalem. The designation is important here. One of the three major issues that peace needs to deal with is the status of Jerusalem. Who does it "belong to"? East Jerusalem is predominantly Arab and is more or less considered part of Palestine, although it is not necessary to pass a check point to get here. West Jerusalem is clearly Israel. The two sides are very different.

I live in a mostly commercial area. The other day I went strolling and found an area with all kinds of useful shops - a hardware store even! The streets are usually busy and full of life and all kinds of interesting shops and people. I love walking around here. I've bonded with my favorites, of course: the ice cream shop, the money changer I use (the owner used to live in Ft Worth!), my favorite little restaurant, a laundry, a really great book and office supply store. Not too far away is the place where I'll be studying Arabic in January.

I love the people whose community I share. Quite handsome, and I have found them always polite, amazingly hospitable, friendly, and so easy to laugh. They love jokes and laughing. Sadly, there is high unemployment, so there are always alot of young people about. Music is heard everywhere on the streets. It's a very energetic place.

There are sort of 3 days of weekend here and it took me awhile to plan accordingly. Friday is the Muslim day of prayer, so in my area most shops and businesses are closed. Saturday is the Jewish Shabbat which is not so noticeable here but most of West Jerusalem is closed on that day. Sunday is Christian sabbath, but there are very few Christians left here - less than 2% of the population now - so it is only noticeable to a few probably.

The Old City is just a few blocks away. It's become one of my favorite places in the world. As we see it now, it dates from about the 15th century or so. It's not as it was in Jesus' time. The Jerusalem he knew was to the south of the current Old City. In fact, inside today's Old City is the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, aka Church of the Resurrection, which commemorates the traditional site of Jesus' crucifixion and burial - events which by their nature had to be outside the city in his day. There are four quarters of the Old City: Muslim, Christian, Jewish, and Armenian. Each has a distinctive feel.

A wall, mostly built by Suleiman the Magnificent, completely surrounds today's Old City. There are about 8 gates into the city. It's easy to think of the Old City as just commercial but in fact about 30,000 people live there.

Some photos of the area I live in are on the slideshow. Click on the slideshow and you will go to the web album where they're posted for captions and easier viewing.

I'll be doing alot more exploring and will do my best to write about it, with photos.

4 comments:

Abu Daoud said...

Wonderful intro to Eastern Jerusalem, you are very right to say that it is important to specify where you are. I always describe Jerusalem as three cities: East Jerusalem, which is a typical Arab city, the Old City which is...totally unique, and West Jerusalem which is modern and has a very European feel to it.

Keep up the travels.

And make sure to visit the Armenian Tavern, it's in the Old City in the Armenian Quarter. Great place to try Armenian food which is delicious.

Warner Carr said...

Harry,

The pics are very cool and makes you think about the history of that area. It also makes my heart race and the hair on my arms stand on end. Be careful and don't go out alone. Learn, and enjoy the experience, make new friends and contacts but always remember you are a Christian and may not be as liked as you think. Follow your calling but please do so safely. You are in our thoughts and in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Harry,
I am glad you have acclamated to your area. It must be nice to have close community. Great Pictures.

Kiwi Nomad said...

In 1981 I worked in a children's home in Ein Kerem, not too far from Hadassah as you walked along the valley. What has been happening in the region in recent years is heartbreaking to hear of, and I know we hear so little of the true conditions the people on the West Bank must endure.