Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter in Jerusalem: Good Friday

Tradition holds that Jesus walked from his so-called trial to his crucifixion along the way now known as the Way of Pain, Via Dolorosa. Today this is a street in Jerusalem's Old City. In Jesus' time it was outside the walls of the city - death is unclean, so the sites of execution had to be outside the area where people lived and worshipped.

Along the Via Dolorosa now, "Stations" mark various events described in the Gospels as Jesus made his way. Pilgrims and worshippers walk these stations to remember and reflect on those events. No one really knows the path he took or where the events actually occurred. But it doesn't seem to matter to many. Usually the group carries a cross, which is passed from one person to another as each Station is passed. It is an act of devotion and very meaningful to those who carry the cross.

Early, early on Friday morning, I walked the stations with a group. The Stations are described below and you may follow along with the photos on the right.

STATIONS OF THE CROSS:
I. Jesus is condemned to death - "Crucify him! Crucify him!

II. Jesus receives his cross - "Take up the cross, the Savior said, if thou wouldst my disciple be"

III. Jesus falls for the first time - "Surely he has borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows, yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted."

IV. Jesus meets his mother - "Simeon said to Mary...and a sword will pierce through your own soul also."

V. Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus carry his cross - "If any one would come after me, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."

VI. Veronica wipes the face of Jesus - "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me."

VII. Jesus falls for the second time - "I am utterly bowed down and prostrate"

VIII. Jesus speaks to the women of Jerusalem - "Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and your children."

IX. Jesus falls for the third time - "Where were you when they crucified my Lord?"

X. Jesus is stripped of his garments - "Let us pray for those who are exposed to ridicule, who are shamed, humiliated, degraded."

XI. Jesus is nailed to the cross - "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise"

XII. Jesus dies on the cross - "It is finished"

XIII. Jesus is taken down from the cross - "Thou does lay me in the dust of death"

XIV. Jesus is laid in the tomb - "Joseph of Arimathea...laid him in a tomb which has been hewn out of the rock; and he rolled a stone against the door of the tomb. Mary the mother of Jesus saw where he was laid.

No comments: