Thursday, December 13, 2007

Side"burns"

Yesterday I had my first haircut here. I went to the shop around the corner from where I live, owned and operated by Rame.

First, of course, I was offered tea (chai) or coffee (qahwe). No interaction of any kind happens here without the hospitality of tea or coffee. Arabic coffee will wake you up real fast! The specialty tea here is with mint (chai bi nana). Am amazing refreshing beverage; I'll make it for you when I get back. I had chai bi nana bi suker, bidun halib (with sugar, without milk).

ok, then we started the haircut. I was relaxing with my eyes closed when something cut me a little on the face. I looked and Rame was using a kind of thick floss-like material, one end in his mouth, to cut the random hairs guys get on their face. ok. I closed my eyes again, then heard a familiar sound I couldn't quite place and then felt warmth around my ear. I looked and Rame was burning other hairs with a cigarette lighter. Yeah. It didn't hurt, just some warmth. Oh well, when in Rome...

More trimming, wash and some gel. All done. Looks pretty darn good, if I say so

Chai bi nana: no charge
Haircut: 35 shekels (little under $9)
Sitting in a chair with a Palestinian man with a razor and lighter, and learning something about trust: Priceless

2 comments:

Abu Daoud said...

it is not as common, but sometimes they make this tamarind juice which is really good. Tamarind in Arabic is "tamar hindi" which literally means "Indian dates".

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try the tea. But personally, I would have to pass on the haircut. What do women do for color and perms?