Thursday, December 6, 2007

"Il Yoom" - Today

Today is yoom ilaribaa; ie, Wednesday in my poorly done phonetics. "Day the fourth". Saturday is sabbath day, then the next five days translate to first day, second day, etc. Until Friday which has a name similar to the word for mosque.

I haven't been here long enough yet to know what a typical day is. I'll tell you what today was like. Up around 6:30. A couple cups of coffee in my flat, then to breakfast in the Guest House. A buffet of juice, cucumbers, olives, tomatoes, yogurt, hummus, pita bread, boiled eggs, cold cut meats and cheese, scrambled eggs, corn flakes, coffee and tea. Sounds good and it is, except it's exactly the same every day. Exactly....Every......

I like to come to the Guest House for breakfast because there's always interesting guests here to talk to. Just now there is a Spanish choral group who did a classical concert the other night. Really good, really beautiful music. There's also a group of Americans here with Global Outreach. I guess they're on a tour to see what's really going on here, then to carry the message back. Have you noticed the recurrent theme that what we're told in the States about the situation here has nothing to do with reality? So these groups who come here, listen and learn, and have their consciousness raised are great to see.

After breakfast, to the office space I use to "work". So far most of what I'm doing is working on some projects to raise money and support for the health care facilities in the Diocese. This can mean working on grant proposals, being in touch with possible donors, researching and networking with funding sources, arranging visits of interested people etc. We have a group coming from Australia at the end of this month and I'll be with them while they visit all the facilities.

A break for lunch and to check on how the installation of the heater/air conditioner is going in my flat. (It's in but won't be hooked up to electric till tomorrow). "Bukra" (tomorrow) is a good word to know.

Then to the market to get some things I need. This is one of my favorite things to do. The markets are busy all the time. I love hangin' with the locals, stumbling all over my bad, bad Arabic. I'm getting better, though, at not being afraid to try. Everyone is really nice about correcting me and teaching me something new. I bought bread, milk, yogurt, M&Ms, and soup.

Back to the flat for a little reading ("Love in the Time of Cholera" recommended to me by a dear friend) and short nap, then back to the office for another couple hours. This particular work is pretty dry. Doesn't really feed the soul. Mentors tell me that's not unusual, that the ministry in mission sometimes comes outside the "work" that one is assigned to. Along that line, I spoke today with the priest at the cathedral here about how I can help him. He's the only one here. His face lit up. So I'm going to take on some sacristan-like responsibilities with him and for him. That sounds more like mission, doesn't it? I'm looking forward to that. I think I can help him during some services and also take on some of the morning and evening prayers that are done here every day.

Dinner was chicken schnitzel and mac & cheese. The M&Ms for dessert. Well, not much you can do with a hot plate and little toaster oven, both looking vintage 1964 or so. Between the walking everywhere and these meals, I better lose some weight here! Now I sit in the Guest House reception area where there's wireless internet so I can write this.

This won't be every day. Some days will be travelling to visit our facilities, some days off like days off anywhere, some days I hope visiting other parts of the country.

For a foreign visitor like me, there's a constant dynamic of ordinariness over and against the exotic, edgy reality of being here, in this bizarre incredible place. It's hard to describe this thing. You quickly fall into a routine, of course, but catch yourself up every now and then to realize, My gosh I'm in Jerusalem!

Part of life here, both the ordinary and extraordinary, is security. More about that next time.

1 comment:

Jesse Zink said...

"Ngomso" is the Xhosa word for "tomorrow." It's a good one to know around here as well.

-Jesse